Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Social Media Health and Fitness Frustrations

                                                       Greetings my lovelies!

 
Raise your hand if you are a social media addict. I know for a fact that more than half of you who are reading this just raised your hand. I myself will admit that I am a social media addict. My top two vices being Youtube and Instagram. When it comes to fitness I love these sites to bits. They've taught me how to make yummy vegan meals, they taught me how to squat like a boss, and most of the fitness and health people are beyond inspirational. However, as I dive deeper and deeper into my health journey the more I see the dangers of the health and fitness industry in social media I have a number of frustrations, so I have decided to make this a series. Hopefully I can enlighten someone with this series. As always, feel free to comment!

The "I Lost ____ in ____ months" Youtube Gimmick

Yes, I understand the joy that comes with reaching goals, especially health goals. However, in the competitive social media world we live in today, many of these feel like gimmicks. These type of titles are meant to lure us in and you know what? They work! These videos get thousands if not millions of views on Youtube. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a huge sucker for these videos. I believed that if I followed exactly what that youtuber did then I would finally get the results I wanted. However, what many of these youtubers fail to point out is that EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. Yes, eating a plant based diet, and exercising will do wonders for your body, but results will always vary. If you take ten people of the same weight and put them on the same exact diet for 3 months, at the end of those 3 months you will get a wide range of results. These "alluring" titles make people (especially the youngsters) believe that they will get the same results and if they don't their reactions could be dangerous.

What I would like to see more of
I understand that the social media world is more competitive than ever before. It's a competition of you has the most eye catching title and thumbnail. With that being said, these youtubers have the power to positively affect a lot of people. Instead of unlicensed youtubers giving their unprofessional opinions, I would rather that they explain their journey in order to motivate their subscribers. In my opinion, this is way more effective and far less dangerous.



No comments:

Post a Comment